Friday, January 9, 2009

Gamer's Integration Into The Work Force


Once thought a passing (albeit enormous) fad, gaming has established itself as a mainstream staple, rising to prominence in the league of comparable mediums like movies and television. What's more notable is those that have grown up in this entertainment phenomenon, an entire generation indoctrinated with video games, who's vernacular is peppered with newly refurbished turns of old phrases, and a pantheon of memorable experiences foreign to the old growth that precedes them. The Entertainment Software Association released it's annual report findings, which revealed that 65% of American households play computer or video games, and what's more surprising is 59% of those gamers play with others in person. Which falls in line with my own experience, as the first time game I ever played a video game was in a crowded room of boys from my Little League baseball team all clustered around a screen. To my generation gaming is the Rock and Roll revolution of the baby boomers, fragmented experiences using games have helped comprise the landscape of my formative years and produce the kind of person I am today. For years I have also seen the bittered cry of those that dismiss gaming as a distasteful habit of sloth and intellectual erosion, a vehicle of the gradual disintegration of values and work ethics that were once so ingrained into our culture. While condemnation of the passions undertaken by their offspring is nothing new, it does raise the question to me of the impact my gaming generation has had, and will continue to wield on the world. To fully understand the influence it has on my generation, we must first grasp the scope of it's evolution, from pastime to permanent fixture, and it's resounding implications on the world in which we exist.


No comments:

Post a Comment